Since 2015, AAEAHP has awarded tens of thousands of dollars to students from Dallas County to help them attend college and become educators. Our goal each year is to raise funds to support our young people. All funds raised go directly to our students.
ways to apply
for the Dr. Alfred L. Roberts, Sr. Scholarship
DEADLINE: February 5, 2024
The Dr. Alfred L. Roberts, Sr. Scholarship will be awarded to Dallas County Public School seniors graduating in good standing in the spring semester of 2023. The students must attend a college or university in the Fall semester of 2024 with plans to MAJOR IN THE FIELD OF EDUCATION.
METHOD OF SELECTION
A. Complete submissions will be screened by the Scholarship Selection Committee.
B. The Selection Committee may select applicants who best meet the Eligibility Requirements to interview for consideration
ONLY students who ARE SELECTED will be notified. Notification will come by phone and/or U.S. mail no later than March 10, 2024.
METHOD OF DISTRIBUTION
A. The scholarship recipients will be notified on March 10 and will be introduced at the Bobbie L. Lang Hall of Fame Luncheon and Induction Ceremony.
B. Recipients will be awarded the scholarship after submitting Proof of Enrollment from the college or university to Scholarship Committee in the Fall of 2024.
The completed application package must be received by February 5, 2024. Applications submitted after the deadline and/or incomplete will be disqualified.
Note: Scholarship recipients must be enrolled in a 2 or 4-year college/university of their choice by the Fall term of the 2024-2025 school year. Continuous enrollment is required after receiving the scholarship award. Failure to comply with the above criteria will result in the scholarship award being voided.
STUDENT ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Must be a Dallas County Public School senior graduating in good standing in the spring of
- Have good moral character.
- Must plan to MAJOR IN THE FIELD OF EDUCATION.
- Must enroll and attend a two- or four-year college or university the Fall semester of 2024.
- Must present PROOF OF ENROLLMENT from the college or university the student will
attend in the Fall of 2024.
- Documentation verifying community service. The documentation must include the number of hours, activity, signature, and phone number of the contact person where the community service was done. Note: Only non-paid community service projects performed in the community, church, and/or school will be considered if performed outside of the school and/or church property.
- Current photograph of applicant. If a scholarship is awarded, photos may be used in local publicity material.
- Be available to attend an interview if requested by the Scholarship Selection Committee.
- Submit two letters of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, administrator, or pastor.
- Submit one-two page, typed (12-point font), double-spaced essay on the following topic:
- Why do you want to become a teacher and what qualities do you possess that would assist you to becoming an outstanding teacher? (Explain and elaborate.)
- High school transcript (MUST include the school’s seal).
- Applicant and parent/guardian’s signature on the application.
- Requirements WILL NOT be considered.
If you are able to meet the above criteria, we welcome you to use the form below to submit an online scholarship application. If you are unable to complete the application in one sitting, you may save your progress and continue later.
Students may apply via mail by downloading the below application and sending it to the following address:
AAEAHP (ATTN: SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE)
P. O. BOX 411091, Dallas, Texas 75241
For the 2023/24 school year, the completed application must be received by February 5, 2024 (postmarked). Applications postmarked after the deadline and/or incomplete packages will be disqualified.
history of our
Pictured: Recipients of the 2019 Alfred L. Roberts Sr. Scholarship
2016 was the second year the scholarships were been awarded by AAEAHP. The same year, organization celebrated the naming of this scholarship in honor of its long time leader Dr. Alfred L. Roberts Sr., a retired Dallas ISD educator. The students were awarded a $1000 scholarship. They all have expressed a strong commitment to become educators. Forty high schools were invited to participate in the awards program.
Jonathan Smith, principal of T. W. Browne Middle School in Dallas ISD, was recognized as the Outstanding Young Educator of the Year.